It's this huge pop culture phenomenon. I know it is. I saw an army of Star Wars robots marching in a St. Patrick's Day parade, of all things. People in my gaming group reference things I don't get and then give me this look like I'm a talking ostrich as they go "You know! Star Wars!"
Well, I don't know Star Wars. Yet. I'm certainly about to, though. Turns out there wasn't really much of a choice when it came to what I should review first - as soon as Roomie found out that I'd never watched Star Wars, he put his foot down. So this is going to be a thing!
In the interest of full disclosure, here's where I'm starting out with Star Wars. This is the sum total of my knowledge, conjecture and gleanings:
• There's a character called Jedi, who is one of the main characters, and he's a guy who wears robes. I think he's some kind of space wizard or space monk or space wizard/monk.
• The other main character is called The Falcon; he's a sort of rogue or pirate type who shoots first and asks questions later.
• The bad guys are the Empire, and I'm guessing they get struck at some point, since apparently they are going to strike back.
• Their leader is Emperor Vader, and he has an army of robots called Vader's Fist, which is a pretty cool name for an army. There are white robots, which are the weaker ones and there's lots more of them, and then black robots which are much more powerful and there's not as many.
• There's some kind of creatures called Jajars and everyone hates them because they're stupid. We'll see if I hate them too.
• There's a force and a dark force. Emperor Vader controls the dark force or is pledged to the dark force.
• This per Roomie: they added extra special effects to the movies long after they were originally released. Apparently I will notice and be unimpressed by the new effects.
• This also per Roomie: there's a scene in the first movie that I have to skip? I'm going to take his word for it. I have a timestamp to look for and I can skip ahead to the next thing.
• Believe it or not, this will actually be the first time I've personally used a DVD player. Not counting things shown at school I think this is actually the first time I've watched a DVD. VHS for life, yo.
• It's apparently going to be just the best thing since sliced bread! :D